Home Quarantine during COVID 19 Out-break
To provide general public, public health workers & health care providers the guidelines regarding
home quarantine of contacts of a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19.
Start of home quarantine is an attempt to involve the community in implementing public health
measures to limit the spread of a disease that has the potential to overwhelm the available resources.
A person is considered as a contact if he or she:
• Had a direct physical touch with, or with the body fluids of, someone with confirmed or
suspected COVID-19 disease.
• Has shared a space with someone with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 disease for more
than 15 minutes.
• Has cared for a patient with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 disease, without using the
recommended personal protective equipment.
In home quarantine, a contact is segregated in his home with restricted movement and interaction with
other members of family and general public for a period of 14 days. The quarantine will end if the
suspected case, whom the quarantined person had come in contact, or shared a space with, turns out
negative on laboratory testing or as decided by the health authorities.
• The quarantined person should stay segregated in a separate room if possible, or observe
social distancing of at least 1 meter from people living in the same house.
• The quarantined person should preferably take the food in the same room and should not
share the washroom with others.
• Use separate dishes, drinking glasses, cups, eating utensils, towels, bedding, and other
items for the quarantined person.
• Clean the door knobs, bathroom utensils and taps with soap and water.
• Wash food utensils, clothes and bed linen with soap and water.
• Monitor body temperature with a thermometer, twice a day.
• Communication link with a healthcare worker should be established for the duration of
the quarantine period. Appearance of any of the symptoms of COVID-19 must
immediately be reported.
• Quarantined person and household members should be counseled, educated and sensitized about
the importance of quarantine. The guidelines for hand sanitization and cleaning and disinfection
of environmental surface should be understood and observed by all members of the household.
• If the person in quarantine is a housewife, she should avoid preparing, cooking and
serving food to other members of the family.
• Minimize visitors to the household. The quarantined person should not interact with the visitors.
• Dispose off home garbage in closed bags at garbage collection points.